Welcome to St. Peter’s Music Program 2018-2019
Dear St. Peter’s Musicians,
We’re looking forward to seeing all of you next month as we embark on another year of choir and handbell music! Many thanks to those of you who have offered anthems over the summer – we really appreciate it. And thanks to you all for sharing your time and talents in this upcoming season.
Special Concerts & Services
Final details and schedule confirmations are still being worked out, but we want to call these special events to your attention. Once confirmed, all of these will be reflected on the CCB calendar.
- Sunday, September 9 – Potluck Lunch at Don & Kim Witman’s after the 11:00 service. Details and notification coming shortly in a separate email.
- Sunday, September 30 – Opening Concert with pianist Jim Selway and Friends! Enjoy 2-hand, 4-hand, and 8-hand (!) piano music, organ offerings, and vocal virtuosity.
- Sunday, November 11 – Participation in Region 3 Evensong at St. John’s to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI. Details to come.
- Sunday, December 9 – Annual Messiah Singalong
- Saturday & Sunday, February 23 & 24 – Festival of Sacred Music at the National Cathedral. Any interested St. Peter’s chorister is invited to join in this event. More info here: https://cathedral.org/sacredmusic/
- March 10 or 17 [TBD] – Poulenc’s Gloria – A concert with St. Peter’s Choir and Friends
Regular Rehearsals & Service Participation
Scheduling is always a challenge, and we strive to provide the best mix of both flexibility and predictability. The pattern below builds on last year’s schedule, with a few tweaks that we hope will make things easier to track and will make participation easy and rewarding.
- Sings at 11:00 on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sundays of the month
- Sings at 9:00 on the 4th Sunday of the month
- Rehearses at 7:30 on the Wednesdays before the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sundays of the month. [IMPORTANT: No rehearsal on September 5: We’ll rehearse an easy anthem at 10:30am before the service on September 9.]
St. Peter’s Singers
- Sings at 9:00 every Sunday
- Rehearses at 8:30am every Sunday
- Sings at 9:00 on the 4th Sunday of the month
- Rehearses at 7:30 on the Wednesday before the 4th Sunday of the month
- Plays at 11:00 on the 4th Sunday of the month
- Rehearses at 6:30 on the Wednesdays before the 3rd and 4th Sundays of the month
- Sings at 9:00 on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sundays of the month
- Rehearses at 6:00pm every Wednesday [IMPORTANT: No rehearsal on September 5: rehearsals begin on Wednesday, September 12.]
Calendars & Reminders
- A calendar for September-December is attached. There are a few aberrations to the above routine around the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
- Updated monthly calendars will be distributed via CCB emails at the end of the previous month.
- Weekly email reminders about upcoming rehearsals and service participation will be sent each Sunday for the following week.
If you’ve had conversations with any other parishioners who might be interested in the music program, please let us know, and we’ll make sure they’re in the loop.
Let’s make a joyful noise!
Don & Jim
St. Peter’s is blessed with a strong and vibrant music ministry that offers many ways to make a joyful noise.
Our new building has afforded our musicians a wonderful new space for rehearsing–with great acoustics.
We have participation of the congregation singing hymns at the 9 AM and 11 AM services. We also feature a rotation of our children and youth choir, men’s choir, adult full choir, and a handbell choir. We have a Steinway grand piano and impressive pipe organ. We also feature instrumentalists from the congregation who wish to share their musical gifts. Information about the music staff is here.
Concerts at St. Peter’s
We also feature “Concerts at St. Peters” throughout the year with performances by visiting musicians as well as recitals by local professionals. Some examples of our concerts include: Justus (Jay) Parrotta, a Fellow of the American Guild of Organists, in recital; selections of William Byrd’s 1590 Mass for Four Voices by the St. Peter’s choir; and, Soprano Tracy Cox, a recipient of the 2014 George London-Kirsten Flagstad Prize and the Birgit Nilsson Prize at the 2013 Operalia Competition.
Annual Messiah Sing-Along
St. Peter’s opens its doors every December for the annual Messiah concert featuring the St. Peter’s Choir, soloists, our congregation, and a chamber orchestra, under the direction of Don Witman for rousing evening concert that heralds the Christmas season. 2018 marks the 28th year of the annual concert.
The St. Peter’s Players Biennial Musical
And, we have the biennial musical production by the St. Peter’s Players that involves over 70 of our youth and scores of adult volunteers. The last full production was “Narnia” and next we will be producing “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” in early 2020.
More detailed information about
the music program at St. Peter’s
can be found here.